Pop star George Michael ‘well and resting’ at home after 999 hospital visit
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Singer George Michael has left hospital and is “well and resting” at his Highgate home after he was admitted for treatment last week.
Two ambulances were sent to the 50-year-old’s mansion after the star fell ill and a worried friend made a 999 call.
His spokeswoman said in a statement yesterday afternoon: “In response to newspaper reports, we can confirm George was admitted to hospital on May 22.
“He was discharged last weekend and is well and resting.
“He is very much looking forward to the release of his new single in July.
You may also want to watch:
“Given the personal nature of this matter there will be no further comment.”
The pop star - whose real name is Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou - nearly died from pneumonia in late 2011.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
He later made a tearful appearance outside his London home after flying back into the country and said it had been “touch and go” whether he lived.
Doctors had performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.
Just 18 months earlier the singer had been close to death after being struck down with pneumonia in Vienna, but he fought back to perform again.
In May last year the star, whose hits include Careless Whisper, Faith and Freedom, was treated in hospital following a bizarre incident on the M1 motorway. He was airlifted to hospital with a head injury after falling from his vehicle on to the road.
He has had health scares and run-ins with the police linked to his drug use.
In September 2010 he was given an eight-week prison sentence following an incident the previous July in which he crashed his Range Rover into a Snappy Snaps shop in Hampstead.
He was also given a five-year driving ban after he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of drugs and possessing cannabis.
He had earlier been banned from driving for two years and sentenced to 100 hours community service in 2006 when he was convicted of driving while unfit through drugs, after he was found collapsed in his Mercedes.
Related stories: George Michael rushed to hospital after collapsing at Highgate home