Poll: After case dropped against ‘Iceland Three’, should people be allowed to take food from supermarket bins?
- Credit: Google
They are being called the “Iceland Three” by those who have taken up their cause on Twitter.
Three men who allegedly raided some dustbins behind the supermarket’s Kentish Town branch, in Kentish Town Road, to recover waste food were due to stand trial at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
They were charged under the Vagrancy Act 1824 after allegedly climbing over a wall in Holmes Road, behind Iceland, and taking about £33 worth of food on October 25 last year.
Police, who have a station next to the site in Holmes Road, accused Paul May, 35, Jason Chan, 31, and William James, 23, of being found “in an enclosed area, namely Iceland, for an unlawful purpose, namely stealing food”.
But following outcry on Twitter and questions about the public interest value in pursuing a prosecution – with even bosses at Iceland expressing doubts – the Crown Prosecution Service today announced that it was dropping the case.
The episode has highlighted the “skipping” or “freegan” movement of retrieving food discarded by supermarkets and cafes to save money and reduce waste.
You may also want to watch:
So should people be allowed to recover food that has been thrown out by shops?
Or do you think taking edible food from the bins of a supermarket or cafe should not be allowed, even if it is destined for a landfill?
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally