Policeman shot on street patrol in Golders Green
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after a PCSO was shot in the chest by a suspected air gun while he was on patrol in Golders Green. The PCSO was walking past the junction of Claremont Road and Marble Drive when he was hit by an unknown object fir
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after a PCSO was shot in the chest by a suspected air gun while he was on patrol in Golders Green.
The PCSO was walking past the junction of Claremont Road and Marble Drive when he was hit by an unknown object fired into his body. Police are not certain what type of firearm was used but have not ruled out the possibility that it was an air rifle.
The community officer sustained bruising to his chest but was not seriously hurt, mainly thanks to his protective Met vest.
Det Con Mark Wand, who is in charge of the investigation, said: "We believe this to be an isolated incident and I don't believe the officer was specifically targeted.
You may also want to watch:
"However we do need to make it clear that something like this could have been far more serious had the PCSO not been wearing his protective clothing, so I ask anyone with information to let us know as soon as possible.
"We maintain an open mind as to the method of firing the projectile."
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
The Ham&High understands detectives believe a phone box standing on the road near to where the PCSO was shot may have been the intended target for the shooter.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Metropolitan Police on 0300 123 12 12 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 quoting reference number 24199885/10.