Policeman shot on street patrol in Golders Green
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after a PCSO was shot in the chest by a suspected air gun while he was on patrol in Golders Green. The PCSO was walking past the junction of Claremont Road and Marble Drive when he was hit by an unknown object fir
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation after a PCSO was shot in the chest by a suspected air gun while he was on patrol in Golders Green.
The PCSO was walking past the junction of Claremont Road and Marble Drive when he was hit by an unknown object fired into his body. Police are not certain what type of firearm was used but have not ruled out the possibility that it was an air rifle.
The community officer sustained bruising to his chest but was not seriously hurt, mainly thanks to his protective Met vest.
Det Con Mark Wand, who is in charge of the investigation, said: "We believe this to be an isolated incident and I don't believe the officer was specifically targeted.
You may also want to watch:
"However we do need to make it clear that something like this could have been far more serious had the PCSO not been wearing his protective clothing, so I ask anyone with information to let us know as soon as possible.
"We maintain an open mind as to the method of firing the projectile."
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 8 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
The Ham&High understands detectives believe a phone box standing on the road near to where the PCSO was shot may have been the intended target for the shooter.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Metropolitan Police on 0300 123 12 12 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 quoting reference number 24199885/10.