Police swoop on suspect in graveyard
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground. The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground.
The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead Garden Suburb, which had been reported just before 2am by a woman who saw suspects passing her television through a downstairs window.
When police arrived at the property on Willifield Way, they arrested a man but two other suspects jumped into a stolen Audi A4 rammed it into a police patrol car and fled.
After a lengthy pursuit throughout Haringey the two suspects ditched the vehicle and fled on foot, with one of them heading into the cemetery.
You may also want to watch:
Police tracked him down a short while later and arrested him. Two men, aged 21 and 16 from Archway, have been charged with burglary in connection with the incident.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: "Much of the victim's property has been recovered unharmed, and with further enquiries we hope to find out the identity of the third suspect.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
"I am also very pleased that no one was injured by the dangerous and criminal actions of these three men in which a police vehicle has been taken out of service and two stolen vehicles have been severely damaged.