Police swoop on suspect in graveyard
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground. The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground.
The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead Garden Suburb, which had been reported just before 2am by a woman who saw suspects passing her television through a downstairs window.
When police arrived at the property on Willifield Way, they arrested a man but two other suspects jumped into a stolen Audi A4 rammed it into a police patrol car and fled.
After a lengthy pursuit throughout Haringey the two suspects ditched the vehicle and fled on foot, with one of them heading into the cemetery.
Police tracked him down a short while later and arrested him. Two men, aged 21 and 16 from Archway, have been charged with burglary in connection with the incident.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: "Much of the victim's property has been recovered unharmed, and with further enquiries we hope to find out the identity of the third suspect.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 5 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 6 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 7 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 8 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
"I am also very pleased that no one was injured by the dangerous and criminal actions of these three men in which a police vehicle has been taken out of service and two stolen vehicles have been severely damaged.