Police swoop on suspect in graveyard
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground. The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground.
The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead Garden Suburb, which had been reported just before 2am by a woman who saw suspects passing her television through a downstairs window.
When police arrived at the property on Willifield Way, they arrested a man but two other suspects jumped into a stolen Audi A4 rammed it into a police patrol car and fled.
After a lengthy pursuit throughout Haringey the two suspects ditched the vehicle and fled on foot, with one of them heading into the cemetery.
You may also want to watch:
Police tracked him down a short while later and arrested him. Two men, aged 21 and 16 from Archway, have been charged with burglary in connection with the incident.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: "Much of the victim's property has been recovered unharmed, and with further enquiries we hope to find out the identity of the third suspect.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 6 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 7 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 8 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
"I am also very pleased that no one was injured by the dangerous and criminal actions of these three men in which a police vehicle has been taken out of service and two stolen vehicles have been severely damaged.