Police swoop on suspect in graveyard
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground. The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground.
The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead Garden Suburb, which had been reported just before 2am by a woman who saw suspects passing her television through a downstairs window.
When police arrived at the property on Willifield Way, they arrested a man but two other suspects jumped into a stolen Audi A4 rammed it into a police patrol car and fled.
After a lengthy pursuit throughout Haringey the two suspects ditched the vehicle and fled on foot, with one of them heading into the cemetery.
You may also want to watch:
Police tracked him down a short while later and arrested him. Two men, aged 21 and 16 from Archway, have been charged with burglary in connection with the incident.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: "Much of the victim's property has been recovered unharmed, and with further enquiries we hope to find out the identity of the third suspect.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
"I am also very pleased that no one was injured by the dangerous and criminal actions of these three men in which a police vehicle has been taken out of service and two stolen vehicles have been severely damaged.