Police swoop on suspect in graveyard
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground. The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead
THE usual quiet around Highgate Cemetery was dramatically shattered in the dead of night on Sunday when police swarmed in looking for a burglar who was laying low in the ancient burial ground.
The man was wanted in connection with a burglary in Hampstead Garden Suburb, which had been reported just before 2am by a woman who saw suspects passing her television through a downstairs window.
When police arrived at the property on Willifield Way, they arrested a man but two other suspects jumped into a stolen Audi A4 rammed it into a police patrol car and fled.
After a lengthy pursuit throughout Haringey the two suspects ditched the vehicle and fled on foot, with one of them heading into the cemetery.
You may also want to watch:
Police tracked him down a short while later and arrested him. Two men, aged 21 and 16 from Archway, have been charged with burglary in connection with the incident.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: "Much of the victim's property has been recovered unharmed, and with further enquiries we hope to find out the identity of the third suspect.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
"I am also very pleased that no one was injured by the dangerous and criminal actions of these three men in which a police vehicle has been taken out of service and two stolen vehicles have been severely damaged.