Police swoop on late-night storytellers on Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A hidden enclave of Hampstead Heath became an impromptu stage as dozens gathered for a midnight storytelling session.
Professional storyteller Vanessa Wolf and singer-songwriter Katy Carr took about 35 adults into the depths of the Heath before regaling them with a tale of wartime Poland on Saturday.
The audience were met at Hampstead Heath train station at 11pm before being led to a mystery location, where they were entertained into the early hours.
Ms Wolf, 42, who grew up in Swiss Cottage and went to Camden School for Girls, said: “It was a really exciting evening on a lovely starry night.
“Hampstead Heath at midnight is dark, quiet and magical – a fitting backdrop for our journey into the forests of 1940s wartime Poland.”
You may also want to watch:
She added that the Heath’s constabulary had interrupted just as the tension was building in the story.
“Out of the darkness came these headlights, just as the audience were waiting with baited breath,” she said.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 6 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park
“Of course, we weren’t doing anything wrong, they were just being friendly and checking that everything was alright.”