Police name teenager shot dead in Camden turf war
Police have named the 17-year-old Somalian who died in hospital after being shot in the head in Camden Town on Saturday night.He has been formally identified as Sharmaarke Hassan, reported to be a member of the notorious Money Squad, one of a number
Police have named the 17-year-old Somalian who died in hospital after being shot in the head in Camden Town on Saturday night.
He has been formally identified as Sharmaarke Hassan, reported to be a member of the notorious Money Squad, one of a number of Camden gangs believed to be involved drug dealing.
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of his murder.
Sharmaarke Hassan died in hospital on Wednesday night four days after he was gunned down in Gilby's Yard, near Camden Lock, around 11pm.
You may also want to watch:
He was taken to hospital after the shooting in a critical condition and was placed on a life support machine.
But late on Wednesday he became the 15th teenager to die in a violent attack on the streets of London since the turn of the year.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
Police say they are keeping an open mind as to whether the killing was connected to another shooting in Archway the previous day.
At around 3am on Friday morning armed police responded to an emergency call to find a boy with a gunshot wound to his stomach on Girdlestone Walk.
A 17-year-old male and an 18-year-old male were arrested close to the Archway scene.
The incidents are thought to be related to a turf war between drug dealers of African origin.
Police in Camden have condemned the wave of violence. Superintendent Paul Morris said: "This is a shocking tragedy. We are stepping up patrols in the borough to reassure the community, and specialist officers are investigating the incident.
"In addition, we are working closely with community groups to offer any other reassurance which we can."
Anyone with information to help the enquiries should call 020-8733 4774 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.