Police mourn fallen colleague
Police officers in Barnet were in mourning this week following the sudden death of one of their colleagues.
Detective Constable Tyrone Jones, 32, who lived in Tottenham, was found to have died after he failed to turn up for work on October 13.
It appears that Mr Jones, who was known to his colleagues as Ty, died from a heart related condition. His death is not being treated as in any way suspicious.
OCU Commander Neil Basu paid tribute to him. He said: “Detective Tyrone Jones was an integral member of a very effective criminal investigation department. He played a large part in making Barnet’s community safety unit one of the highest performing specialist units in London.
“The reaction amongst his friends and colleagues at Barnet was one of shock and disbelief that this well-liked young man could have been taken in such a sudden and tragic manner. Their sadness and sense of loss tells you all you need to know about the kind of man Tyrone was. He was a warm and friendly presence around Barnet borough - he was a fine detective and a fine person. He will be greatly missed.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jones was a keen sportsman and played centre forward for the successful Barnet police football team, which he captained - he was also team’s vice manager. With his help the team won the Met Police Athletics Association cup in 2007 and 2009.
Mr Jones is survived by his father Winston, his mother Carol and his sister and two brothers.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 4 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 5 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 6 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 7 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Arts centre? Rock'n'roll museum? What future for Hampstead Police Station?