Police called to Hornsey and Wood Green hustings row

Police were called to restore order to a political hustings in Muswell Hill when an independent candidate tried to storm the stage.

The meeting at Hornsey Parish Church, in Cranley Gardens, last night descended into chaos when Geoff Moseley, from the Hoi Polloi party, attempted to join the other four main candidates on the platform.

When vicar Bruce Batstone, who was chairing the debate, asked him to sit back down he refused and there was shouting and arguing among the audience.

Mr Moseley, whose party slogan is “start a revolution” and was brandishing a large furry microphone, told the Ham&High: “I had been excluded from the panel. There was no chair for me, so I grabbed a chair from the back as I had a right to join the other candidates in the debate. The audience became quite rowdy with some shouting for me to be thrown out.”

Labour candidate Catherine West, said: “It suddenly became very lively and heated and this went on for about 25 minutes with shouting from the audience who were split down the middle about whether to allow the smaller candidates a place.”

The chaos continued until church staff called officers to the scene.

Filmmaker Mr Moseley said: “By the time police arrived, the vicar had agreed to let me take part in the debate so everything had calmed down so three officers stood at the back.”

Most Read

A police spokesman said: “Officers were called to the church at around 7.40pm. No offences were committed and they decided it was a civil matter.”

Ms West confirmed that the hustings debates then went ahead with both Mr Moseley and Helen Spiby-Vann, from the Christian Peoples Alliance, also taking part.

Mr Moseley, who is making a documentary about his campaign, said: “I did have to stand by the stage as there was no seat for me, but I took part in the debate and stood up for my and other small candidates’ rights to be heard.”

Fr Blastone said: “We had invited the five main candidates with parliamentary seats to be on the panel, and only heard 10 mintues beforehand that Mr Moseley wanted to be included. We called police, there was some unrest and we didn’t want people to feel concerned, but once things got under way it all went really well.”