Police break into Hampstead police station to evict squatters
- Credit: Archant
Police have broken into the former Hampstead police station to evict a group of squatters who are refusing to leave the building.
Officers smashed a window at the back of the police station in Rosslyn Hill after the squatters refused to vacate at 1.35pm today in accordance with a court order.
The squatters say legal papers served by bailiffs yesterday were invalid because they did not include a date and time.
Some of the group came out of the police station annexe, where they have been living since Easter weekend, before the 1.35pm deadline to speak to officers and then hunkered down inside.
When police finally gained access to the building, the squatters began coming out with suitcases.
You may also want to watch:
Their belongings are currently being piled up on grass on the front lawn, including a wide screen television.
One of the group, actor and collage artist Michael Dickinson, 64, who was sleeping rough in a cardboard box in Camden Town before he moved into the squat, said: “What are they going to do with this [the police station]? They’re just going to close it up and we’re homeless again. It’s sin.”
- 1 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 2 Church closes Highgate path over 'antisocial behaviour and assault'
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 5 'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 8 GP's ‘Vaxi Taxi’ scheme lets people 'get their jab in a cab'
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
It is understood the squatters wanted more time to move out before a van arrived to move their belongings at 5pm today.