Police and fire brigade called to reports of chemicals in West Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
The emergency services were called to West End Lane after reports that there was a smell of chemicals this morning.
West End Lane has been blocked off to the public and people have been pushed back, away from the scene, after reports of a chemical smell in a shop and the flats above on the street.
A spokesman for the fire brigade said that the service responded to reports that there was a chemical smell, and that their specialist teams took readings, but they did not find that they showed a high level of chemicals.
He said: “We got calls to reports of the smell of chemicals and we had crews down there who took a sweep of the premises, but we did not record any elevated readings.”
Ten people were evacuated when the fire brigade were called to a shop and the flats above at 9.54am and left at 11.20am.
You may also want to watch:
The road remains cordoned off to cars and pedestrians.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 5 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 6 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub