‘Plebgate’ MP Andrew Mitchell denies being born and bred in Hampstead
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ah, the perils of relying on Wikipedia.
“Plebgate” MP Andrew Mitchell was confidently introduced as a “Hampsteadonian” born and bred in NW3 to a recent gathering of Conservative activists in support of Cllr Simon Marcus, Tory candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn, at a private home on Monday.
Intrigued, Heathman asked the former chief whip about his local roots: “So, where in Hampstead are you from?”
“I’m not,” came the reply.
Perhaps someone should tell the online encyclopaedia.
You may also want to watch:
He does, though, live within cycling distance in Islington.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath