‘Plebgate’ MP Andrew Mitchell denies being born and bred in Hampstead
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ah, the perils of relying on Wikipedia.
“Plebgate” MP Andrew Mitchell was confidently introduced as a “Hampsteadonian” born and bred in NW3 to a recent gathering of Conservative activists in support of Cllr Simon Marcus, Tory candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn, at a private home on Monday.
Intrigued, Heathman asked the former chief whip about his local roots: “So, where in Hampstead are you from?”
“I’m not,” came the reply.
Perhaps someone should tell the online encyclopaedia.
You may also want to watch:
He does, though, live within cycling distance in Islington.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 6 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 7 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 8 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 9 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'