Pine nut and carrot roast with mushroom sauce recipe
Pine nut and carrot roast with mushroom sauce
Ingredients25g butter1 onion, finely chopped225g carrots, finely grated2 celery sticks, finely chopped225g pine nuts, grated 2 tbsp chopped parsleySqueeze of lemon juice2 free range eggsSea salt and freshly ground black pepperFreshly grated nutmegFor the sauce7g dried mushrooms, rinsed600ml water25g butter1 small onion, thinly sliced2 tsp cornflour2 tbsp vegetarian Madeira or fortified wine2 tbsp soy sauce
MethodPreheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 500g loaf tin
Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion, without browning, for five minutes, then add the carrot and celery and cook uncovered for ten minutes.
Remove from heat and add the pine nuts, parsley, lemon juice and eggs.
Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Pour into the tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and firm in the centre.
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 3 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 4 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 5 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 6 CCTV: Man makes ‘sexually explicit comments’ to teen on tube
- 7 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 8 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 9 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 10 Highgate Hill housing plans spark fears over new pub's future
To prepare the sauce: put the mushrooms and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then remove from heat and leave to soak for 40 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid and chop the mushrooms.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Add the mushrooms and gently cook for 30 minutes until tender.
Mix the cornflour with the reserved liquid, Madeira and soy, then add to the mushroom mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
Season to taste.
Put the roast onto a plate, slice thickly and drizzle with the mushroom sauce. Recipe created by the Cordon Vert Cookery School at The Vegetarian Society, Parkdale, Dunham Road, Altrincham, Cheshire, WA14 4QG, www.vegsoc.org.
Pick up a V-Healthy leaflet detailing the society's healthy eating plan as well as tips, budget solutions and nutrition information. For a free copy call 0161 925 2000.