Pictures: King’s Cross swimming pool to be open in time for summer
- Credit: Archant
A new public swimming pool being built in King’s Cross will be open in time for the summer, Camden Council has said.
The new facility - which includes two pools, a new fitness gym, café, relocated modern library and customer access centre - is part of the 5 Pancras Square development site, where council offices are also relocating.
It will open its doors to the public on July 19.
Afe Komolafe, from Somers Town Community Centre, said: “The opening of the Pancras Square leisure centre means so much for the Somers Town community as we’ve been asking for a swimming pool for years!
“Finally, it’s right on our doorstep and I am certain it will be well used by members of the community, especially those who currently have to travel all the way to Kentish Town to use the facilities there.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sarah Hayward, leader of the council, said: “These new community services provide some of the things that local residents asked for when we negotiated with the developers regarding the King’s Cross regeneration.
“What’s more, these new facilities come at no additional cost to Camden’s Council tax payers as we are selling old and inefficient buildings, bringing the majority of council office based staff to one site.
- 1 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 9 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
“This will give the council an annual saving of £2.5million in 2015/16 rising to some £4million when all the occupied office buildings are sold.”
An opening weekend will take place on Saturday 19 July and Sunday 20 July to showcase the facilities.