Pictures: King’s Cross swimming pool to be open in time for summer
- Credit: Archant
A new public swimming pool being built in King’s Cross will be open in time for the summer, Camden Council has said.
The new facility - which includes two pools, a new fitness gym, café, relocated modern library and customer access centre - is part of the 5 Pancras Square development site, where council offices are also relocating.
It will open its doors to the public on July 19.
Afe Komolafe, from Somers Town Community Centre, said: “The opening of the Pancras Square leisure centre means so much for the Somers Town community as we’ve been asking for a swimming pool for years!
“Finally, it’s right on our doorstep and I am certain it will be well used by members of the community, especially those who currently have to travel all the way to Kentish Town to use the facilities there.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sarah Hayward, leader of the council, said: “These new community services provide some of the things that local residents asked for when we negotiated with the developers regarding the King’s Cross regeneration.
“What’s more, these new facilities come at no additional cost to Camden’s Council tax payers as we are selling old and inefficient buildings, bringing the majority of council office based staff to one site.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
“This will give the council an annual saving of £2.5million in 2015/16 rising to some £4million when all the occupied office buildings are sold.”
An opening weekend will take place on Saturday 19 July and Sunday 20 July to showcase the facilities.