Picture gallery: Fun in the snow on Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Archant
Thrill-seekers across Hampstead and Highgate grabbed their sledges and headed for the hills this weekend to enjoy the snow on Hampstead Heath.
Parliament Hill was swamped with sledgers, young and old, as they braved the steep hill. Father-and-son teams took on mother-and-daughter pairings as they raced down the snow-swept descents.
Model and Hampstead resident Melanie Sykes was spotted joining in the fun and speeding down Parliament Hill with her son.
Despite the freezing conditions, the bathing ponds were open for business as usual.
Paul Jeal, swimming supervisor on the Heath, said: “The usual suspects were there. One or two couldn’t get in, but there weren’t many missing.
You may also want to watch:
“The water was just above freezing and although we had ice on some of the ponds, the swimming ones were clear.”
Gritting lorries ran through the night to keep the traffic on the move, with gritting bins emptied to make safe hospitals and transport hubs.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 8 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
On Monday (January 21) parking enforcement was suspended north of Euston Road, except on main roads.
Camden Council said rubbish collection was expected to be disrupted on Tuesday morning (January 22) because of the icy weather conditions.