Picture gallery: Fun in the snow on Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Archant
Thrill-seekers across Hampstead and Highgate grabbed their sledges and headed for the hills this weekend to enjoy the snow on Hampstead Heath.
Parliament Hill was swamped with sledgers, young and old, as they braved the steep hill. Father-and-son teams took on mother-and-daughter pairings as they raced down the snow-swept descents.
Model and Hampstead resident Melanie Sykes was spotted joining in the fun and speeding down Parliament Hill with her son.
Despite the freezing conditions, the bathing ponds were open for business as usual.
Paul Jeal, swimming supervisor on the Heath, said: “The usual suspects were there. One or two couldn’t get in, but there weren’t many missing.
You may also want to watch:
“The water was just above freezing and although we had ice on some of the ponds, the swimming ones were clear.”
Gritting lorries ran through the night to keep the traffic on the move, with gritting bins emptied to make safe hospitals and transport hubs.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 5 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 6 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 7 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Hampstead's Karma Bread thanks Royal Free staff with baked goods
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
On Monday (January 21) parking enforcement was suspended north of Euston Road, except on main roads.
Camden Council said rubbish collection was expected to be disrupted on Tuesday morning (January 22) because of the icy weather conditions.