PHOTO GALLERY: Pups and puns aplenty at the Great Hampstead Bark Off 2014!
- Credit: Polly Hancock
It couldn’t have been a more idyllic picture of Hampstead life on a sunny bank holiday weekend.
With tails wagging and celebrity judges at the ready, NW3’s cutest canines gathered for the Heath’s first ever combined dog and cake show – The Great Hampstead Bark Off 2014!
Organised by dog rescue charity All Dogs Matter, the show attracted pet owners to Parliament Hill on Saturday to compete for their pooches to be named Mr and Miss Heath, Golden Oldie, Best Rescue or Cutest Pup.
But this year, for the first time, the show also included a dog-themed bake off, inspiring the name and a host of other puns.
“Do your cake creations have others barking down the door?” posters asked as organisers declared they were “seeking out the best barkers in town”.
You may also want to watch:
The word play was catching as entries included pup cakes and nine-year-old Breanna Robinson’s winning Apple Poodle – a marshmallow festooned sponge just as fluffy as the breed that inspired it.
Judges were vet Mark Abrahams, TV presenter Bill Oddie, radio presenter Nick Ferrari, Jamie Belman of The Wag Club in Highgate, Dawn Doran of the Mutt Hut in Gospel Oak, Richard Gentry of the Heath Constabulary, and former Emmerdale actress and film-maker Georgia Slowe.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 4 Camden Council 'considers' bringing leisure centres in-house post-Covid
- 5 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 6 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 7 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 10 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation
All money raised will be donated to All Dogs Matter, a dog rescue charity in north London that rehomes abandoned and stray dogs.
Run by a small dedicated team, the charity has found new owners for 300 dogs in the last year alone.
* To find out more visit alldogsmatter.co.uk or text ADMS23 £5 to 70070 to donate via Just Text Giving.