Photo gallery: 8,000 people enjoy Give it a Go! festival on Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Thousands of people descended on Hampstead Heath to enjoy an array of sporty and energetic activities at the weekend.
Some 8,000 turned out for this year’s Give it a Go! festival on Sunday (July 20), which offered coaching in tennis, rugby and bowls, along with fitness sessions and lessons in street dance and martial arts.
Youngsters tested their mettle on an assault course, took part in circus workshops – and learned how to act like pirates.
The event also saw the official launch of the world’s first all-weather outdoor table for “triples” ping pong, a new spin on the sport designed for two teams of three.
The unique circular table has been permanently installed near the tennis courts in Parliament Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Jeremy Simons, chairman of the City of London Corporation’s Hampstead Heath Committee, said: “It was wonderful to see so many people enjoying themselves in the sunshine on the Heath – it’s the perfect place to get fit, play sports or simply walk the dog.
“In 2012, 37 per cent of Year Six children were classed as overweight or obese – and for the young, exercise and good nutrition can make a huge difference later in life.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 3 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 7 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park
“This is where the Heath can help, and it is here right on your doorstep.”
Digi Berry, founder of T3 Ping Pong, the company behind the new table, said: “I am delighted that the City of London has commissioned the T3 all-weather table to be here at Hampstead Heath, free for the public to experience this fantastically addictive game.”