Phone lines down across North London until Friday
A FIRE and a flood at a telephone exchange in Lisson Green have knocked out phone lines across St John s Wood, Swiss Cottage and Marylebone.Latest reports say repairs won't be made until tomorrow. Around ten fire fighters were called to the disaster which affected an electrical intake room at a British Telecom building on Bell
A FIRE and a flood at a telephone exchange in Lisson Green have knocked out phone lines across Swiss Cottage, St John's Wood and Marylebone.
Latest reports say repairs won't be complete until tomorrow.
Around ten fire fighters were called to the disaster which affected an electrical intake room at a British Telecom building on Bell Street.
Fire crews were called to the exchange at 7.30am and took more than two hours to make the area safe.
But the incident has badly affected communications across large areas of North-West London with some services expected to be disrupted for the next 24 hours.
A spokeswoman for London Fire Brigade said: "Two fire engines and around ten firefighters attended a flooding incident in an electrical intake room within the basement area of a building on Burne Street in Marylebone, earlier today.
- 1 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 2 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 3 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 4 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 5 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 7 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 8 Elton John rockets through career-spanning show at BST Hyde Park
- 9 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 10 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
"The Brigade was called at 7.33am and the incident was over by 9.49am Crews from Paddington station were at the scene."
A spokesman for BT said: "Following a fire at a BT exchange in the Paddington area, customers in parts of North and West London may be experiencing a loss of broadband and telephone service. Customers in other parts of the country may also be affected."