Personal trainer praised after 15 people escape sauna fire at Belsize Park fitness centre
- Credit: Archant
A personal trainer has been praised after 15 people escaped a fire at a fitness centre in Belsize Park.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters attended the blaze at Springhealth in Belsize Park Gardens this morning.
The fire is believed to have started in a sauna, with a steam and shower room on the first floor also left damaged.
Fifteen people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. No-one was injured.
Station manager Daniel Alie, who was at the scene, said: “The site management had excellent procedures in place and one of the personal trainers did an excellent job of raising the alarm and getting everyone one out quickly.
“The building was heavily smoke logged and crews did very well to stop the fire from getting any bigger and to prevent it from spreading to the roof void.”
The Brigade was called at 7.35am and the fire was under control at 8.56am. The cause of the fire is under investigation but is believed to have started in the sauna unit. The fitness centre says it is closed until further notice.
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 4 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 5 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 6 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 7 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 10 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
Firefighters from Soho, West Hampstead and Kentish Town fire stations attended the incident.