Personal trainer praised after 15 people escape sauna fire at Belsize Park fitness centre
- Credit: Archant
A personal trainer has been praised after 15 people escaped a fire at a fitness centre in Belsize Park.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters attended the blaze at Springhealth in Belsize Park Gardens this morning.
The fire is believed to have started in a sauna, with a steam and shower room on the first floor also left damaged.
Fifteen people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. No-one was injured.
Station manager Daniel Alie, who was at the scene, said: “The site management had excellent procedures in place and one of the personal trainers did an excellent job of raising the alarm and getting everyone one out quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“The building was heavily smoke logged and crews did very well to stop the fire from getting any bigger and to prevent it from spreading to the roof void.”
The Brigade was called at 7.35am and the fire was under control at 8.56am. The cause of the fire is under investigation but is believed to have started in the sauna unit. The fitness centre says it is closed until further notice.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Firefighters from Soho, West Hampstead and Kentish Town fire stations attended the incident.