Personal trainer praised after 15 people escape sauna fire at Belsize Park fitness centre
- Credit: Archant
A personal trainer has been praised after 15 people escaped a fire at a fitness centre in Belsize Park.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters attended the blaze at Springhealth in Belsize Park Gardens this morning.
The fire is believed to have started in a sauna, with a steam and shower room on the first floor also left damaged.
Fifteen people left the building before the arrival of the Brigade. No-one was injured.
Station manager Daniel Alie, who was at the scene, said: “The site management had excellent procedures in place and one of the personal trainers did an excellent job of raising the alarm and getting everyone one out quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“The building was heavily smoke logged and crews did very well to stop the fire from getting any bigger and to prevent it from spreading to the roof void.”
The Brigade was called at 7.35am and the fire was under control at 8.56am. The cause of the fire is under investigation but is believed to have started in the sauna unit. The fitness centre says it is closed until further notice.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Firefighters from Soho, West Hampstead and Kentish Town fire stations attended the incident.