Pensioners flee burning homes in fire drama
Pensioners were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours of yesterday morning (Sunday). Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in an
PENSIONERS were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours yesterday morning (Sunday).
Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in and gutted the top floor of their sheltered housing.
More than 100 firefighters and 20 fire engines rushed to battle the flames at 4am on Sunday morning.
"It's a scene of devastation," said Child's Hill councillor Jack Cohen. "I can't see the residents ever returning. "Many are elderly and confused by events, leaving the scene in their nightclothes. I am worried by how the residents are going to be relocated. They don't know if it's safe to return to get their possessions."
You may also want to watch:
Many of the residents have been relocated to the Rosa Freedman Centre, in Claremont Way, while the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 7 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 8 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 9 Parliament Hill viewpoint works delayed by nesting birds
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!