Pensioners flee burning homes in fire drama
Pensioners were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours of yesterday morning (Sunday). Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in an
PENSIONERS were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours yesterday morning (Sunday).
Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in and gutted the top floor of their sheltered housing.
More than 100 firefighters and 20 fire engines rushed to battle the flames at 4am on Sunday morning.
"It's a scene of devastation," said Child's Hill councillor Jack Cohen. "I can't see the residents ever returning. "Many are elderly and confused by events, leaving the scene in their nightclothes. I am worried by how the residents are going to be relocated. They don't know if it's safe to return to get their possessions."
Many of the residents have been relocated to the Rosa Freedman Centre, in Claremont Way, while the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 4 Tottenham boss Antonio Conte looking to revamp squad in transfer windows
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 8 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 Movement off the ball key to Arsenal's win against Newcastle