Pensioners flee burning homes in fire drama
Pensioners were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours of yesterday morning (Sunday). Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in an
PENSIONERS were evacuated from their homes as a fire broke out in Child's Hill in the early hours yesterday morning (Sunday).
Some 30 elderly residents of Garth House, on Granville Road, fled in their nightshirts as the blaze caused the roof to cave in and gutted the top floor of their sheltered housing.
More than 100 firefighters and 20 fire engines rushed to battle the flames at 4am on Sunday morning.
"It's a scene of devastation," said Child's Hill councillor Jack Cohen. "I can't see the residents ever returning. "Many are elderly and confused by events, leaving the scene in their nightclothes. I am worried by how the residents are going to be relocated. They don't know if it's safe to return to get their possessions."
You may also want to watch:
Many of the residents have been relocated to the Rosa Freedman Centre, in Claremont Way, while the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband