Peep Show actress and Primrose Hill girl Sophie Winkleman turns opera singer
As stars strut their stuff on Strictly, one local famous face is rediscovering her past musical passions on a new Sky TV show.
Peep Show star Sophie Winkleman, who grew up in Primrose Hill, rekindled her lost love of opera in an episode of First Love on February 28.
First introduced to opera as a child by her father Barry Winkleman, former publisher of The Times Atlas of the World, Sophie saved all her pocket money while attending City of London School for Girls to buy tickets for seats in the gods at the Royal Opera House.
But once at Cambridge University, the actress and half-sister of TV presenter Claudia Winkleman was swept up in comedy acting and abandoned singing in its favour.
Fifteen years later Sophie, who is married to Lord Freddie Windsor, realised how much she missed music - which she considers the most spiritually moving art form - and is keen to retrain her voice.
You may also want to watch:
With the help of English National Opera soprano Sarah Tynan, Sophie will work towards performing Quando M’en Vo from La Boheme at London’s Little Opera House at the King’s Head Theatre in Islington.
Good luck to her.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 10 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'