Parking revenues would be better spent on eco programmes
Like you (H&H Comment, October 2) I welcome Cllr Theo Blackwell s suggestion that it is high time council parking revenues could be spent on things other than roads and pavements. Cllr Blackwell argues that much of the money should be diverted to communit
Like you (H&H Comment, October 2) I welcome Cllr Theo Blackwell's suggestion that it is high time council parking revenues could be spent on things other than roads and pavements.
Cllr Blackwell argues that much of the money should be diverted to community forums, and I certainly hope that Camden's new area forums will soon be given at least some budgets of their own. I am told that similar organisations were transformed when that was done in neighbouring Westminster.
But I would like to suggest what seems to me an even more appropriate way of spending parking revenues - on improving Camden's recycling and sustainability programmes.
As Cllr Alexis Rowell and Andy Moore of the Campaign for Real Recycling explained in their letter (Let's have less commingling and more genuine recycling, H&H, October 2) Camden's present system of commingled recycling collection is a cheapskate and counter-productive con on the public. It actually does more damage to the environment than it does good!
You may also want to watch:
Diverting parking revenues to energy conservation and sustainability would be in line with the Lib Dems' policy of a 'green tax switch' - making the polluters pay for more eco-friendly policies in future. It should, I hope, command all-party support.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
Bedford Avenue, WC1