Park Road Lido: Crouch End landmark swimming venue gears up to celebrate 90th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Crouch End’s Park Road Lido is celebrating its 90th birthday this year, and with the weather beginning to improve a calendar of celebratory events are kicking off.
Next Wednesday sees the lido’s second “moonlight swim” of the year – timed to match the spring equinox on March 20, before plans for the big birthday on June 1 get into gear.
Katy Ferguson from the Park Road Lido User Group (PRLUG) told this newspaper: “The moonlight swims really feel like you’re on holiday!
“Nothing like being in inner London at all.”
Katy added that when built in 1929, the justification was that it would have public health benefits.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Personally I think the lido is as key to the population’s health and recreation now as it was then.”
The March moonlight swim takes place in three sessions on the evening of March 20. Head along from 6 to 7. 7 to 8, or 8 to 9. It costs £6, which includes soup and bread.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
More anniversary events will be announced soon.