Park Road Lido: Crouch End landmark swimming venue gears up to celebrate 90th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Crouch End’s Park Road Lido is celebrating its 90th birthday this year, and with the weather beginning to improve a calendar of celebratory events are kicking off.
Next Wednesday sees the lido’s second “moonlight swim” of the year – timed to match the spring equinox on March 20, before plans for the big birthday on June 1 get into gear.
Katy Ferguson from the Park Road Lido User Group (PRLUG) told this newspaper: “The moonlight swims really feel like you’re on holiday!
“Nothing like being in inner London at all.”
Katy added that when built in 1929, the justification was that it would have public health benefits.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Personally I think the lido is as key to the population’s health and recreation now as it was then.”
The March moonlight swim takes place in three sessions on the evening of March 20. Head along from 6 to 7. 7 to 8, or 8 to 9. It costs £6, which includes soup and bread.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
More anniversary events will be announced soon.