Parade saved for Hornsey Royal British Legion
HOPES for the future of the Hornsey Royal British Legion have been raised after a do or die meeting yesterday.
Supporters met at the Hornsey Tavern pub where it was confirmed the remembrance parade will go ahead in November, before the fight to maintain the club continues in the new year.
Alysha Shirley, landlady at the Hornsey Tavern and local air cadet instructor, has offered the pub as a base to conduct Hornsey RBL operations.
She said: “The parade will definitely happen. At the moment we are concentrating our efforts on the remembrance parade and as soon as that is done, we will try and re-establish things.
“As far as the legion goes, it’s a work in progress but we have taken a positive step forward with the meeting. We are hoping to reconvene the branch and keep things going but we’ll look at that after the parade is done.
You may also want to watch:
“The onus is on getting the community involved. We want as many people in the public to get involved as possible.
“I think we need to spread the word among the younger generations.”
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
The future looked uncertain for the Hornsey RBL after its club on Elder Avenue closed earlier in August following a lack of support and funds.
But Ms Shirley says another meeting is planned in the coming weeks to decide plans for the remembrance parade while posters and flyers will be distributed throughout the community in the meantime.