Pan cooking stock bones overnight starts Highgate house fire
A woman who had three defective smoke alarms fitted in her home was saved by firefighters after a meal she left cooking overnight set alight.
The woman woke at around 6.45am on Thursday, May 3 to find her home in Pond Square, Highgate, full of smoke and called the fire brigade. Crews from Kentish Town rescued her from a top floor bedroom and brought the blaze under control.
The woman was treated by ambulance crews at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Early investigations show the fire started in the kitchen after the woman left a stewing pan on the hob as she was cooking bones for a stock.
The fire brigade warned residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes after it was revealed the woman had three which were not in operation.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Madeley, watch manager, said: “It is great to have so many alarms but they are no use to you if they don’t work.”
The brigade also warned against leaving cooking unattended.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station