Search

Pan cooking stock bones overnight starts Highgate house fire

PUBLISHED: 23:37 21 May 2012

The blaze completely gutted the warehouse.

The blaze completely gutted the warehouse.

Archant

A woman who had three defective smoke alarms fitted in her home was saved by firefighters after a meal she left cooking overnight set alight.

The woman woke at around 6.45am on Thursday, May 3 to find her home in Pond Square, Highgate, full of smoke and called the fire brigade. Crews from Kentish Town rescued her from a top floor bedroom and brought the blaze under control.

The woman was treated by ambulance crews at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Early investigations show the fire started in the kitchen after the woman left a stewing pan on the hob as she was cooking bones for a stock.

The fire brigade warned residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes after it was revealed the woman had three which were not in operation.

Sean Madeley, watch manager, said: “It is great to have so many alarms but they are no use to you if they don’t work.”

The brigade also warned against leaving cooking unattended.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express