Paklava Dessert Recipe
For the paklava:
Swiss roll tin75g almonds75g pistachio nuts50g soft brown sugar�tsp cinnamon�tsp ground ginger8 sheets filo pastry75g melted unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 180C. Crush the almonds and pistachio nuts and mix together with the sugar and spices. Put a sheet of filo pastry into the tin and brush with a lot of butter. Place another sheet on top and brush with butter; repeat up to three sheets of pastry, then put half the nut mix on top.
Layer on and butter two more sheets of filo pastry as before, and then put the remaining nut mix on top. Layer on and butter the last three sheets on top of the nut mix. Score the top into a diamond pattern and put into the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden.
For the syrup:
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 5 Two more charged in connection with Olsi Kuka killing in Barnet
- 6 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 7 Royal beacon in Golders Hill shines light for Queen
- 8 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 9 Gold and silver for a Platinum Jubilee party
- 10 Home of the week: Hampstead flat with garden for £1.25m
65g sugar2tbsp honey285ml waterJuice of 1 lemon1 cinnamon stick50g crushed pistachios
Put the sugar, honey, water, lemon and cinnamon stick into a pan and bring to the boil, then keep boiling for 10 minutes. When the paklava is out of the oven and cooled, strain and pour over the hot syrup. Sprinkle crushed pistachios over the top and cut into pieces when cold.
Good appetite! say the Constantia brothers, who believe no celebratory menu is truly satisfying without the accompaniment of the lute-like bouzouki. Offering traditional music and dancing. Try courses like Taramosalata a la Grecque, a fish cream p�t�; Kalamari, fried squid; Christmas Cannelloni, a mincemeat pancake; Moussaka and a host of other seasonal dishes.
Constantia Cottage Restaurant, East Runton, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9NX, 01263 512017, www.constantiarestaurant.co.uk