Talented painter plans to capture Constables’ views of Hampstead Heath as they are today
- Credit: Archant
A talented painter who claimed top honours in the Hampstead Summer Festival art competition hopes to recapture Constables’ famous views of the Heath as they are today.
Self-taught artist Edward Ofusu, who won a scholarship to study at Hampstead School of Art in 2012, was handed the best in show award at a prize giving on Saturday (July 12).
Mr Ofuso, who knew he wanted to be an artist from the age of 12 but was encouraged to study science by family, won a £200 cheque for his painting of Whitestone Pond, which judges praised for its “vibrancy”.
Originally from Ghana, the artist moved to London about 10 years ago and has participated in various exhibitions including the Royal Society of Portrait Painters. He also teaches iPad painting at Hampstead School of Art.
The 41-year-old artist, who lives off Lordship Lane in Tottenham, said: “Usually I paint portraits but I like to paint landscapes when it’s summer.
You may also want to watch:
“The Heath is a very inspiring location and I’m planning to do some more painting there and see if I can locate some of the places where Constable painted and capture them in this time.”
Prizes were also awarded to the best artworks by school pupils and over-60s at Go Figurative Gallery in Heath Street, Hampstead.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 9 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 10 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
* See our photo gallery for pictures of all the winners.