Talented painter plans to capture Constables’ views of Hampstead Heath as they are today
- Credit: Archant
A talented painter who claimed top honours in the Hampstead Summer Festival art competition hopes to recapture Constables’ famous views of the Heath as they are today.
Self-taught artist Edward Ofusu, who won a scholarship to study at Hampstead School of Art in 2012, was handed the best in show award at a prize giving on Saturday (July 12).
Mr Ofuso, who knew he wanted to be an artist from the age of 12 but was encouraged to study science by family, won a £200 cheque for his painting of Whitestone Pond, which judges praised for its “vibrancy”.
Originally from Ghana, the artist moved to London about 10 years ago and has participated in various exhibitions including the Royal Society of Portrait Painters. He also teaches iPad painting at Hampstead School of Art.
The 41-year-old artist, who lives off Lordship Lane in Tottenham, said: “Usually I paint portraits but I like to paint landscapes when it’s summer.
You may also want to watch:
“The Heath is a very inspiring location and I’m planning to do some more painting there and see if I can locate some of the places where Constable painted and capture them in this time.”
Prizes were also awarded to the best artworks by school pupils and over-60s at Go Figurative Gallery in Heath Street, Hampstead.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
* See our photo gallery for pictures of all the winners.