Outfit worn by former Spice Girl Mel C attracts £6,500 bid at celebrity car boot sale
- Credit: John M Fulton
A fan has bid £6,500 on an outfit worn by former Spice girl Melanie Chisholm, which was among celebrity cast-offs being sold off at the Star Boot Sale on Sunday.
Other items included a rail of designer suits belonging to actor Jude Law and a kimono and leather trousers worn by comedian Russell Brand.
But it is a green tank top and sporty black trousers Mel C wore in the 1997 Spice World movie that have attracted the high bid on the star boot sale website
A fan by the name of Gemma F is currently the highest bidder at £6,500, but with the auction running until Sunday May 29 the outfit could reach even more.
The event organised by Blur drummer Dave Rowntree in Brick Lane aims to raise £100,000 to help refugees in the Middle East.
Mel C, whose real name is Melanie Chisholm joined singer KT Tunstall and actor Phil Daniels at the event at the Truman Brewery in Brick Lane.
Phil Daniels was auctioneer on the day selling off items including an Arsenal shirt signed by actor Idris Elba and a signed gold album from Blur,
Mel C whose stall at the event included other clothing, Barbie dolls and a union jack cushion said: “Dave Rowntree approached me and I thought it was a wonderful opportunity to get rid of some stuff as well as raising quite a bit of money. Ive got outfits I have worn on stage with the Spice girls and stuff from Spiceworld the movie and you think what do you do with it all? Its a wonderful thing to help the refugee crisis.”
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 3 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 4 Unarmed man shot by police during prison break was ‘lawfully killed’
- 5 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 6 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 8 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
- 9 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
Hampstead art gallery Zebra One donated artwork to the event including images of Kylie Minogue, by Phil Knott, and work by celebrity street artist Dom Pattinson.
organiser Dave Rowntree said: “I had three paranoias about this sale. First that we wouldn’t get anything to sell, second that nobody would buy any tickets and third that it was going to rain. None of those things have come true. We have 30 stalls all jammed full of stuff and hundreds of people have turned up in the glorious sunshine.”
All funds will go towards projects run by the International Rescue Committee.
More items such as a Prada handbag from Kylie Minogue, are still being added to the auction.