Out of tune after an off-key visit to Mozart
I recently left a hat of great sentimental value on a table outside Cafe Mozart at Swain s Lane, where I have been a regular customer for years. I realised the loss immediately but after 10 minutes of searching under tables and asking staff and customers
I recently left a hat of great sentimental value on a table outside Cafe Mozart at Swain's Lane, where I have been a regular customer for years. I realised the loss immediately but after 10 minutes of searching under tables and asking staff and customers if they had seen it, I gave up and left.
Imagine my delight when I telephoned the cafe that afternoon and was told it had been found and handed in by a thoughtful customer.
I told the member of staff the hat was very precious to me and would they please put it somewhere secure until I could collect it. I was assured this would be done. Just to be sure, I telephoned on two further occasions to confirm that it was being kept in a safe place.
When I duly arrived to collect it the manager said it had been hung on a rack by the toilets, that it had been there that morning, but had since disappeared. When I pointed out that it had been entrusted to the staff for safe keeping and that leaving it in a public place where it could be stolen by any passer-by was surely a dereliction of duty she replied that this was ''not her problem.''
You may also want to watch:
I was so upset by her attitude that I wrote to the owner of the cafe that afternoon. The letter was not even acknowledged and when I telephoned again to ask the manager if he would be replying she said ''he doesn't care either.''
In future I will be spending my money with a business that actually values its customers.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Offord Road N1