Our man Gorrie will lead Haringey Council one day, claim Lib Dems
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group. Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, ma
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group.
Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, masterminding the Lib Dem alternative budget and has repeatedly challenged the Labour Council's waste and mismanagement.
A statement released by the party today states: ''Robert's business experience makes him well equipped for the task of leading the Lib Dem group. Most recently he spent five years as one of the directors that built the Ocado online grocery delivery retailer from scratch to a business with a turnover equivalent to Haringey Council's annual budget. He remains on the board and still advises the award winning company on staff consulting and communication.''
His father, Donald Gorrie has been a Lib Dem MP, MSP and was a local councillor for 35 years.
You may also want to watch:
''Robert follows this tradition as a campaigning councillor. He has fought locally for residents' rights to be involved in the development of the Hornsey Depot site, challenged the lack of community facilities in the Campsbourne Estate and pushed for long-term solutions to issues of anti-social behaviour and economic disadvantage faced by many residents,'' said the statement.
Outgoing Lib Dem leader Neil Williams comments: "I'm absolutely delighted that in Robert Gorrie we have not just a new leader for the Liberal Democrats, but a brilliant Council leader in-waiting. He couldn't be better equipped for the job, and it is the people of Haringey that will benefit the most from his skills."
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 5 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Haringey Liberal Democrat's new leader adds: "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead such a capable team who are poised to take control of Haringey Council. I look forward to continuing the fight for local residents, for an end to Haringey Labour's waste and for victory in 2010."
Local Liberal Democrat MP, Lynne Featherstone said: "I am delighted to welcome such a talented campaigner to the top job in our council group. I have no doubt that he will hold no punches in exposing Haringey Labour's waste and mismanagement. Together we will be a formidable duo fighting for the people of Haringey.