Our man Gorrie will lead Haringey Council one day, claim Lib Dems
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group. Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, ma
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group.
Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, masterminding the Lib Dem alternative budget and has repeatedly challenged the Labour Council's waste and mismanagement.
A statement released by the party today states: ''Robert's business experience makes him well equipped for the task of leading the Lib Dem group. Most recently he spent five years as one of the directors that built the Ocado online grocery delivery retailer from scratch to a business with a turnover equivalent to Haringey Council's annual budget. He remains on the board and still advises the award winning company on staff consulting and communication.''
His father, Donald Gorrie has been a Lib Dem MP, MSP and was a local councillor for 35 years.
You may also want to watch:
''Robert follows this tradition as a campaigning councillor. He has fought locally for residents' rights to be involved in the development of the Hornsey Depot site, challenged the lack of community facilities in the Campsbourne Estate and pushed for long-term solutions to issues of anti-social behaviour and economic disadvantage faced by many residents,'' said the statement.
Outgoing Lib Dem leader Neil Williams comments: "I'm absolutely delighted that in Robert Gorrie we have not just a new leader for the Liberal Democrats, but a brilliant Council leader in-waiting. He couldn't be better equipped for the job, and it is the people of Haringey that will benefit the most from his skills."
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Haringey Liberal Democrat's new leader adds: "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead such a capable team who are poised to take control of Haringey Council. I look forward to continuing the fight for local residents, for an end to Haringey Labour's waste and for victory in 2010."
Local Liberal Democrat MP, Lynne Featherstone said: "I am delighted to welcome such a talented campaigner to the top job in our council group. I have no doubt that he will hold no punches in exposing Haringey Labour's waste and mismanagement. Together we will be a formidable duo fighting for the people of Haringey.