Our man Gorrie will lead Haringey Council one day, claim Lib Dems
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group. Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, ma
Haringey Lib Dems have elected Hornsey councillor Robert Gorrie as new leader of their council group.
Mr Gorrie was elected in Hornsey on a massive swing in 2006, taking the previously safe seat from Labour. He has been Lib Dem Finance Spokesperson, masterminding the Lib Dem alternative budget and has repeatedly challenged the Labour Council's waste and mismanagement.
A statement released by the party today states: ''Robert's business experience makes him well equipped for the task of leading the Lib Dem group. Most recently he spent five years as one of the directors that built the Ocado online grocery delivery retailer from scratch to a business with a turnover equivalent to Haringey Council's annual budget. He remains on the board and still advises the award winning company on staff consulting and communication.''
His father, Donald Gorrie has been a Lib Dem MP, MSP and was a local councillor for 35 years.
You may also want to watch:
''Robert follows this tradition as a campaigning councillor. He has fought locally for residents' rights to be involved in the development of the Hornsey Depot site, challenged the lack of community facilities in the Campsbourne Estate and pushed for long-term solutions to issues of anti-social behaviour and economic disadvantage faced by many residents,'' said the statement.
Outgoing Lib Dem leader Neil Williams comments: "I'm absolutely delighted that in Robert Gorrie we have not just a new leader for the Liberal Democrats, but a brilliant Council leader in-waiting. He couldn't be better equipped for the job, and it is the people of Haringey that will benefit the most from his skills."
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Haringey Liberal Democrat's new leader adds: "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead such a capable team who are poised to take control of Haringey Council. I look forward to continuing the fight for local residents, for an end to Haringey Labour's waste and for victory in 2010."
Local Liberal Democrat MP, Lynne Featherstone said: "I am delighted to welcome such a talented campaigner to the top job in our council group. I have no doubt that he will hold no punches in exposing Haringey Labour's waste and mismanagement. Together we will be a formidable duo fighting for the people of Haringey.