Our association worked hard to bring in new CCTV cameras
Following your front page article about CCTV (Big Brother to become bigger and better, H&H Broadway March 1) I would like to make the following comments: The Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association has been battling for over two years against all odds t
Following your front page article about CCTV (Big Brother to become bigger and better, H&H Broadway March 1) I would like to make the following comments:
The Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association has been battling for over two years against all odds to improve the CCTV coverage and replace the out of date and almost useless cameras. We have attended meetings with various departments and officers, we have written many letters, and we gave a presentation to the CCTV Scrutiny Committee at the end of October last year.
The scrutiny committee reported on their findings to the executive, highlighting our presentation and referring to the inadequacy of the system in Muswell Hill and the lack of progress made so far.
As a result I had a meeting with Cllr Canver and drew her attention to the six recent robberies in the shopping centre, asking for urgent action.
We agreed that improvements must be made and as a result of our discussion Cllr Canver undertook to recommend that the following steps should be taken:
q Two brand new state-of -the-art cameras to be installed with wider angles and better coverage.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 5 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
q Three of the old cameras to be dismantled and the remaining two to be better positioned and better managed.
q The two TFL cameras to be used for community safety purposes after the evening rush hour.
q New signs to be put up.
q Most importantly that we should be consulted on all these issues when they are approved by the executive at the end of March.
I was rather surprised and disappointed that our involvement was not acknowledged and to see Cllr Canver's comment that her ''officers are looking at where the cameras will be'', as it was agreed that we should be involved in deciding the position of all the cameras.
Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association