Our association worked hard to bring in new CCTV cameras
Following your front page article about CCTV (Big Brother to become bigger and better, H&H Broadway March 1) I would like to make the following comments: The Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association has been battling for over two years against all odds t
Following your front page article about CCTV (Big Brother to become bigger and better, H&H Broadway March 1) I would like to make the following comments:
The Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association has been battling for over two years against all odds to improve the CCTV coverage and replace the out of date and almost useless cameras. We have attended meetings with various departments and officers, we have written many letters, and we gave a presentation to the CCTV Scrutiny Committee at the end of October last year.
The scrutiny committee reported on their findings to the executive, highlighting our presentation and referring to the inadequacy of the system in Muswell Hill and the lack of progress made so far.
As a result I had a meeting with Cllr Canver and drew her attention to the six recent robberies in the shopping centre, asking for urgent action.
You may also want to watch:
We agreed that improvements must be made and as a result of our discussion Cllr Canver undertook to recommend that the following steps should be taken:
q Two brand new state-of -the-art cameras to be installed with wider angles and better coverage.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 5 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
q Three of the old cameras to be dismantled and the remaining two to be better positioned and better managed.
q The two TFL cameras to be used for community safety purposes after the evening rush hour.
q New signs to be put up.
q Most importantly that we should be consulted on all these issues when they are approved by the executive at the end of March.
I was rather surprised and disappointed that our involvement was not acknowledged and to see Cllr Canver's comment that her ''officers are looking at where the cameras will be'', as it was agreed that we should be involved in deciding the position of all the cameras.
Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association