Our area is special because it doesn't have a Tesco!
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster? There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - incl
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster?
There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - including two organic food shops, Peppercorns and LoveFood (which also has an excellent small cafe). I don't actually see the POINT of another Tesco - if we need supermarkets, we have access to Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and I probably speak for many of the residents of West Hampstead when I say that we value the character of the area precisely because of its diversity, and the absence of a Tesco.
I am actually one of the 'people who are less well off' to whom Councillor Keith Moffat refers, and there are ALREADY several shops 'on the doorstep where we can buy things at a reasonable price'.
One of the many advantages of these small shops is that customers and shopkeepers build up a personal relationship and the atmosphere in the area is that of a real community.
You may also want to watch:
I hope there will be strenuous efforts to resist the opening of yet another unnecessary Tesco.
Dr Jane Susanna Ennis,
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
Fortune Green Road, NW6