Our area is special because it doesn't have a Tesco!
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster? There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - incl
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster?
There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - including two organic food shops, Peppercorns and LoveFood (which also has an excellent small cafe). I don't actually see the POINT of another Tesco - if we need supermarkets, we have access to Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and I probably speak for many of the residents of West Hampstead when I say that we value the character of the area precisely because of its diversity, and the absence of a Tesco.
I am actually one of the 'people who are less well off' to whom Councillor Keith Moffat refers, and there are ALREADY several shops 'on the doorstep where we can buy things at a reasonable price'.
One of the many advantages of these small shops is that customers and shopkeepers build up a personal relationship and the atmosphere in the area is that of a real community.
I hope there will be strenuous efforts to resist the opening of yet another unnecessary Tesco.
Dr Jane Susanna Ennis,
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
- 5 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 6 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 7 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 8 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 9 Two-year waitlist for mental health patients at Tavistock Centre
- 10 HGO double bill: modern dress baroque opera as it would have sounded centuries ago
Fortune Green Road, NW6