Our area is special because it doesn't have a Tesco!
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster? There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - incl
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster?
There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - including two organic food shops, Peppercorns and LoveFood (which also has an excellent small cafe). I don't actually see the POINT of another Tesco - if we need supermarkets, we have access to Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and I probably speak for many of the residents of West Hampstead when I say that we value the character of the area precisely because of its diversity, and the absence of a Tesco.
I am actually one of the 'people who are less well off' to whom Councillor Keith Moffat refers, and there are ALREADY several shops 'on the doorstep where we can buy things at a reasonable price'.
One of the many advantages of these small shops is that customers and shopkeepers build up a personal relationship and the atmosphere in the area is that of a real community.
You may also want to watch:
I hope there will be strenuous efforts to resist the opening of yet another unnecessary Tesco.
Dr Jane Susanna Ennis,
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Letters: The floods!
Fortune Green Road, NW6