Our area is special because it doesn't have a Tesco!
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster? There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - incl
I am appalled to discover that we are threatened with yet another Tesco store! Is it already too late to halt the progress of this monster?
There are already several food shops in West End Lane, all of which are of a much higher quality than Tesco - including two organic food shops, Peppercorns and LoveFood (which also has an excellent small cafe). I don't actually see the POINT of another Tesco - if we need supermarkets, we have access to Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and I probably speak for many of the residents of West Hampstead when I say that we value the character of the area precisely because of its diversity, and the absence of a Tesco.
I am actually one of the 'people who are less well off' to whom Councillor Keith Moffat refers, and there are ALREADY several shops 'on the doorstep where we can buy things at a reasonable price'.
One of the many advantages of these small shops is that customers and shopkeepers build up a personal relationship and the atmosphere in the area is that of a real community.
You may also want to watch:
I hope there will be strenuous efforts to resist the opening of yet another unnecessary Tesco.
Dr Jane Susanna Ennis,
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
Fortune Green Road, NW6