Organic porridge oats to be brought back by Hampstead Tesco following uproar
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Organic porridge oats could return to Tesco shelves in Hampstead after shoppers complained to the supermarket.
The food giant said it will “look into bringing this particular product back” to the Tesco Express store in Heath Street after facing criticism from Hampstead residents over slashing its organic offering.
The supermarket blamed the reduction on the nation’s economic woes. Writing to Hampstead shopper Jenny Anderson, who complained about a lack of organic fruit, vegetables and bread, a Tesco staff member said that the “present economic climate” had caused a “reduction in demand for organic products”.
But Ms Anderson, a play worker of Christchurch Hill, said: “There’s very little difference in price between a lot of organic and non-organic items.
“If it was just to do with the economic climate and the price, why don’t they stock all the cheaper ranges in Hampstead? There are lots of own-brand products that you can’t buy because they only sell the expensive branded versions.”
You may also want to watch:
The shop has also been accused of stocking more junk food and fizzy drinks in recent weeks. A Tesco spokesman said: “We recently reviewed the range in Hampstead, and have in fact reduced the number of fizzy drinks and snack foods, and increased the number of whole food and ‘free from’ products.”
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham