One down, three to go as Tainio leaves Spurs for Sunderland
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney. And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday. Black Cat
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney.
And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday.
Black Cats boss Roy Keane had an ambitious £23million bid accepted by Tottenham last week for Tainio, Chimbonda, Steed Malbranque and Younes Kaboul.
The latter pair have yet to confirm whether they will be quitting the Lilywhites, with Kaboul having also attracted the attention of Portsmouth and Aston Villa.
You may also want to watch:
Both Tainio and Chimbonda were won over by Keane, but the club's supporters must wait to discover whether the Irishman will prove equally persuasive on Malbranque and Kaboul.
"Teemu has showed versatility, playing in different midfield positions for both Spurs and his previous club, Auxerre," said Keane.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
"But his experience in particular and the fact he has played more than 40 international games shows he has a lot to offer Sunderland."
Another player likely to leave the Lane this week is goalkeeper Paul Robinson.
The former England No.1 is close to ending his nightmare at Tottenham by signing for Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers.
Rovers last night accepted a £2.75m bid from Aston Villa for their American veteran Brad Friedel.