One down, three to go as Tainio leaves Spurs for Sunderland
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney. And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday. Black Cat
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney.
And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday.
Black Cats boss Roy Keane had an ambitious £23million bid accepted by Tottenham last week for Tainio, Chimbonda, Steed Malbranque and Younes Kaboul.
The latter pair have yet to confirm whether they will be quitting the Lilywhites, with Kaboul having also attracted the attention of Portsmouth and Aston Villa.
You may also want to watch:
Both Tainio and Chimbonda were won over by Keane, but the club's supporters must wait to discover whether the Irishman will prove equally persuasive on Malbranque and Kaboul.
"Teemu has showed versatility, playing in different midfield positions for both Spurs and his previous club, Auxerre," said Keane.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
"But his experience in particular and the fact he has played more than 40 international games shows he has a lot to offer Sunderland."
Another player likely to leave the Lane this week is goalkeeper Paul Robinson.
The former England No.1 is close to ending his nightmare at Tottenham by signing for Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers.
Rovers last night accepted a £2.75m bid from Aston Villa for their American veteran Brad Friedel.