One down, three to go as Tainio leaves Spurs for Sunderland
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney. And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday. Black Cat
SPURS midfielder Teemu Tainio joined Sunderland yesterday on a three-year deal, writes Patrick Mooney.
And the Finnish international is likely to be joined by Lane team-mate Pascal Chimbonda, who had a medical at the Wearside club on Wednesday.
Black Cats boss Roy Keane had an ambitious £23million bid accepted by Tottenham last week for Tainio, Chimbonda, Steed Malbranque and Younes Kaboul.
The latter pair have yet to confirm whether they will be quitting the Lilywhites, with Kaboul having also attracted the attention of Portsmouth and Aston Villa.
Both Tainio and Chimbonda were won over by Keane, but the club's supporters must wait to discover whether the Irishman will prove equally persuasive on Malbranque and Kaboul.
"Teemu has showed versatility, playing in different midfield positions for both Spurs and his previous club, Auxerre," said Keane.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 3 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 4 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 Grease: 'High energy fun but I'm not hopelessly devoted'
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 The Burnt City: stunning but elusive take on Trojan War
"But his experience in particular and the fact he has played more than 40 international games shows he has a lot to offer Sunderland."
Another player likely to leave the Lane this week is goalkeeper Paul Robinson.
The former England No.1 is close to ending his nightmare at Tottenham by signing for Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers.
Rovers last night accepted a £2.75m bid from Aston Villa for their American veteran Brad Friedel.