Now we know who does all the work around Highgate
While spending a very pleasant hour in the amicable company of Highgate s hard-working Fair In The Square organisers on Monday evening, it became very obvious to me just who does all the work around those parts. Without doubt it s the village s womenfolk.
While spending a very pleasant hour in the amicable company of Highgate's hard-working Fair In The Square organisers on Monday evening, it became very obvious to me just who does all the work around those parts. Without doubt it's the village's womenfolk.
With the exception of a couple of sponsors, the Fair's stage manager John Plews - he of the Gatehouse Theatre - and Highgate Society stalwart Brendan Nolan, there wasn't another member of the male species in sight as we enjoyed the hospitality generously offered by Cafe Rouge.
And these women don't know when to stop, which is all to Highgate's benefit. The date for next year's Fair In The Square has already been set. You heard it here first - it will be on Saturday June 12. And if it's half as successful as this year's event, all that hard work put in by the ladies of Highgate over the next 12 months will be well worthwhile.
Mind you, all the forward planning in the world can't account for unforeseen circumstance. John Plews recalled how, in the days when he and wife Katie organised the entire affair, it had to be cancelled on just one occasion - because it clashed with the funeral of a certain Princess.
As all event organisers know, there are some things you just can't account for.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 3 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 4 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 5 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 6 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 7 'Shambles': Haringey's parking website still full of problems
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Pure Gym ready to open in Crouch End
- 10 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals