Now we know who does all the work around Highgate
While spending a very pleasant hour in the amicable company of Highgate s hard-working Fair In The Square organisers on Monday evening, it became very obvious to me just who does all the work around those parts. Without doubt it s the village s womenfolk.
While spending a very pleasant hour in the amicable company of Highgate's hard-working Fair In The Square organisers on Monday evening, it became very obvious to me just who does all the work around those parts. Without doubt it's the village's womenfolk.
With the exception of a couple of sponsors, the Fair's stage manager John Plews - he of the Gatehouse Theatre - and Highgate Society stalwart Brendan Nolan, there wasn't another member of the male species in sight as we enjoyed the hospitality generously offered by Cafe Rouge.
And these women don't know when to stop, which is all to Highgate's benefit. The date for next year's Fair In The Square has already been set. You heard it here first - it will be on Saturday June 12. And if it's half as successful as this year's event, all that hard work put in by the ladies of Highgate over the next 12 months will be well worthwhile.
Mind you, all the forward planning in the world can't account for unforeseen circumstance. John Plews recalled how, in the days when he and wife Katie organised the entire affair, it had to be cancelled on just one occasion - because it clashed with the funeral of a certain Princess.
You may also want to watch:
As all event organisers know, there are some things you just can't account for.
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 7 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 8 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit