Not convinced by Cllr Rowell's green credentials
Cllr Rowell, our Camden eco-champion , says he joined the Lib Dems despite being a green because it had a good set of environmental policies. Though Cllr Rowell is a welcome face on the council and we respect his commitment to dealing with climate chang
Cllr Rowell, our Camden 'eco-champion', says he joined the Lib Dems despite being a green because it had a good set of environmental policies.
Though Cllr Rowell is a welcome face on the council and we respect his commitment to dealing with climate change, we believe the track record of elected Lib Dems shows what their policies really are.
In Norfolk Lib Dem councillors supported the expansion of Norwich International Airport and widening of the A11 and A120 (Essex to Stansted). In the Scottish Parliament, they backed massive and unsustainable roads projects, a decision described by Friends of the Earth as "probably the worst environmental decision ever taken by the Scottish Executive". In Edinburgh, Manchester and York they opposed congestion charging and in Newbury, Lib Dems championed the controversial bypass while the Green Party proposed a package of local traffic reduction measures.
It's clear that far too easily they take the easy route, failing to challenge and change. We could have imaginative solutions but with them, we end up with the same old policies.
You may also want to watch:
What has the new administration in Camden done to tackle climate change? The King's Cross development could have been turned down in favour of a truly environmentally friendly site but instead it was voted through.
Having a good set of green policies is all very nice but to deal with the pressing problems of climate change we need more than policy and talk. We need real determination, an ability to make things happen and a willingness to come up with creative solutions and take hard decisions. All we have got from the Lib Dems to date is fudge and delay.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 7 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 8 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
Cllr Maya de Souza
(Green Party) Highgate Ward