Northwood Hall: Controversial Highgate planning application withdrawn after more than 40 objections
- Credit: Archant
A controversial application to add two floors to a historic art deco building in Highgate has been withdrawn – after more than 40 people lodged objections.
The application, reported on the front of the Ham&High last month, would have seen the addition of 22 luxury duplex homes to Northwood Hall – with 55 bathrooms between them.
But Haringey Council confirmed yesterday (Wed) it had been pulled, with architects firm Brooks Murray now planning to submit a new application taking into account the objections made.
Mark Blacklock, 59, has lived in Northwood Hall for 11 years.
After learning of the application’s withdrawal, he told the Ham&High: “I can only say I’m delighted that this ill-thought out and overbearing proposal has been withdrawn.
You may also want to watch:
“I will be watching the architect’s subsequent movements with great interest.”
In his objection, Mark had written: “Such a large addition would cause substantial harm to a landmark building in a conservation area.”
- 1 'Nazanin needs her passport back on Sunday' – Tulip Siddiq MP
- 2 Jail for weapons supplier found with guns, grenades and zombie knives
- 3 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 4 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 5 Morrisons opens replacement store in Chalk Farm
- 6 UCS Hampstead pupils launch podcast to help GCSE history revision
- 7 Meet some of Hampstead Heath's furriest and feistiest canine visitors
- 8 Humans must take action if our species is to survive
- 9 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 10 Redeveloping pubs and shops steals value from surrounding homes
The planned increase to the building’s height had worried neighbours. Peter Halford, who lives in Oldfield Mews which is adjacent to Northwood Hall, was concerned two extra storeys would further restrict the daylight in the street.
Peter told this newspaper: “It’s bad enough as it is – this would be an unacceptable loss of daylight.”
But other leaseholders at Northwood had supported the scheme.
As part of its proposals, Brooks Murray had promised to renovate currently dilapidated parts of the building free of charge.It is not now clear if this work would be part of a new application.
A spokesperson for Brooks Murray said: “During the course of the planning consultation period we received a number of constructive opinions from residents and neighbours that we would like to give further thought to.”
“We have listened to these objections and are taking the opportunity to expand upon these suggestions and incorporate them into our final design.
“We want the best for Northwood Hall in the long run and have decided to take the time to consider and develop these new ideas, in consultation with leaseholders, for the ultimate benefit of the building and local residents.”
The consultation had been due to end next week.