North London’s ‘first’ live Christmas advent calendar comes to Highgate
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
For adults and children, the suspense of waiting each day to find out what is underneath the window of your advent calendar is one of the joys of the Christmas season.
But this year visitors to Highgate will get an extra daily surprise in the month of December, as shops will unveil a gift hidden in a special festive window display every day before Christmas.
Called a “live advent calendar”, the project launched by Highgate business owners and the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum (HNF) is thought to be the first ever attempted in north London.
Twenty-four shops in Highgate High Street, Aylmer Parade and Archway Road are taking part.
HNF committee member Louise Lewis, who came up with the idea, said: “We want to bring the community together and have some fun. But it also highlights the remarkable variety of shops we have in the area and we hope that it will encourage people to visit them and shop locally.
You may also want to watch:
“Our plan is all about retaining and encouraging the local community and local businesses.
“I believe that this is north London’s first-ever, live, on-the-ground advent calendar.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
Presents valued at between £5 and £10 will be unveiled in shop windows each day.
Using a calendar “map” of the businesses taking part, shoppers are then invited to write down what they think the gift is on an entry form, before returning their answers to one of the shops by December 31.
They will then be in with a chance of winning a prize of one of the gifts that has been on display in the shop windows.
Shops taking part include Notsobig children’s clothes shop, and Highgate Vet in the high street, with Postal Plus post office in Archway Road kicking off the calendar on Tuesday.
To download a calendar entry form, visit highgateneighbourhoodforum.org.uk.