North London’s ‘first’ live Christmas advent calendar comes to Highgate
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
For adults and children, the suspense of waiting each day to find out what is underneath the window of your advent calendar is one of the joys of the Christmas season.
But this year visitors to Highgate will get an extra daily surprise in the month of December, as shops will unveil a gift hidden in a special festive window display every day before Christmas.
Called a “live advent calendar”, the project launched by Highgate business owners and the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum (HNF) is thought to be the first ever attempted in north London.
Twenty-four shops in Highgate High Street, Aylmer Parade and Archway Road are taking part.
HNF committee member Louise Lewis, who came up with the idea, said: “We want to bring the community together and have some fun. But it also highlights the remarkable variety of shops we have in the area and we hope that it will encourage people to visit them and shop locally.
You may also want to watch:
“Our plan is all about retaining and encouraging the local community and local businesses.
“I believe that this is north London’s first-ever, live, on-the-ground advent calendar.”
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
Presents valued at between £5 and £10 will be unveiled in shop windows each day.
Using a calendar “map” of the businesses taking part, shoppers are then invited to write down what they think the gift is on an entry form, before returning their answers to one of the shops by December 31.
They will then be in with a chance of winning a prize of one of the gifts that has been on display in the shop windows.
Shops taking part include Notsobig children’s clothes shop, and Highgate Vet in the high street, with Postal Plus post office in Archway Road kicking off the calendar on Tuesday.
To download a calendar entry form, visit highgateneighbourhoodforum.org.uk.