No rubbish collection in Barnet
BARNET Council has suspended rubbish collections today because of the treacherous ice and snow after only a limited number of collections yesterday. Transport and environment boss Cllr Daniel Thomas said: We sent trucks out yesterday to try and collect w
BARNET Council has suspended rubbish collections today because of the treacherous ice and snow after only a limited number of collections yesterday.
Transport and environment boss Cllr Daniel Thomas said: "We sent trucks out yesterday to try and collect waste and recycling but it proved impossible to continue after the heavy snow. Conditions are if anything worse today with snow turning to ice.
"I appreciate that residents will be frustrated by two days of no bin collections, but frankly no one is go to thank us for emptying their bins, if they come home and find a refuse truck shaped dent in the side of their car.
"Staff in our street teams who are unable to work normally are now out hand gritting in our town centres and restocking the grit bins across the borough."
You may also want to watch:
Gritting trucks were out last night and the priority routes in the borough have been kept open.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 5 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 10 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers