No rubbish collection in Barnet
BARNET Council has suspended rubbish collections today because of the treacherous ice and snow after only a limited number of collections yesterday. Transport and environment boss Cllr Daniel Thomas said: We sent trucks out yesterday to try and collect w
BARNET Council has suspended rubbish collections today because of the treacherous ice and snow after only a limited number of collections yesterday.
Transport and environment boss Cllr Daniel Thomas said: "We sent trucks out yesterday to try and collect waste and recycling but it proved impossible to continue after the heavy snow. Conditions are if anything worse today with snow turning to ice.
"I appreciate that residents will be frustrated by two days of no bin collections, but frankly no one is go to thank us for emptying their bins, if they come home and find a refuse truck shaped dent in the side of their car.
"Staff in our street teams who are unable to work normally are now out hand gritting in our town centres and restocking the grit bins across the borough."
You may also want to watch:
Gritting trucks were out last night and the priority routes in the borough have been kept open.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper