No-one has a right to become a parliamentary candidate
Like Joanne Cash, the Conservative parliamentary candidate for Westminster North, I am a relative newcomer to politics. Like Ms Cash, I had a professional career beforehand, albeit as a shoe and fashion retailer rather than in law. But unlike Ms Cash, I w
Like Joanne Cash, the Conservative parliamentary candidate for Westminster North, I am a relative newcomer to politics. Like Ms Cash, I had a professional career beforehand, albeit as a shoe and fashion retailer rather than in law. But unlike Ms Cash, I was not foisted upon my local party as their PPC, and unlike Ms Cash I have an excellent relationship with that local party.
The reason? When I decided to become involved in politics, I didn't think I had any right to just walk in and become a PPC. I joined the local party, soon became its treasurer, and worked hard and made progress. The Chair did resign when I became PPC, but that's because I was the Chair. I now have a united local party which is totally behind me in my efforts.
Westminster has been Tory-run since its creation in 1965 and in true Conservative style is run for the rich few rather than the many. Under Nick Clegg the Lib Dems have made the 2010 campaign about fairness. Here in Westminster there is much to be done to make a fairer society.
The Conservatives pay lip service to change and being 'modernisers' but it's still the same old jobs for the boys. or in Ms Cash's case, girls. And if they can self-destruct like this over one marginal in North London, I shudder to think how they'll behave if they ever try to form a government.
Liberal Democrat parliamentary
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
candidate for Westminster North