No charges for killer of Somali teenager
PUBLISHED: 16:20 09 October 2008 | UPDATED: 15:29 07 September 2010
THE police officer leading the investigation into the death of Somali teenager Sharmaarke Hassan has said there is not enough evidence to charge anyone with the killing. Mr Hassan, 17, died at the Royal Free Hospital on May 27 four days after he was shot
THE police officer leading the investigation into the death of Somali teenager Sharmaarke Hassan has said there is not enough evidence to charge anyone with the killing.
Mr Hassan, 17, died at the Royal Free Hospital on May 27 four days after he was shot in the head while sitting on a bench in Gilbry's Yard, near Camden Lock.
Detective Inspector Dave Rock, from the Met's Operation Trident, has revealed there have been five arrests in connection with the shooting so far but no-one has yet been charged.
He said: "We are not saying it's gang related. We are working on a specific line of enquiry which I am keeping to myself for the time being.
"It's not to do with criminal behaviour, it's not to do with drug dealing. This is not a matter of allegiances to rival gangs.
"In order to successfully bring charges in this case we need witnesses to come forward.
"I would appeal for the public of Camden and especially those who live in this area who may have information to come forward."
Two of the people being questioned remain in police custody on unrelated drug and public disorder charges, and the other three have been bailed to return for further questioning.
Det Insp Rock said the only significant forensic evidence in the case was a 9mm bullet recovered from the victim's head.
An inquest into Mr Hassan's death was held at St Pancras Coroners Court on Tuesday (October 7), where coroner Dr Andrew Reid ruled the teenager died as a result of an unlawful killing.