Nightspot evacuated as blaze rips through Camden shop
- Credit: Archant
Revellers were evacuated from Camden High Street as firefighters tackled a blaze that ripped through a shop.
Residents in flats above the shop had to be evacuated as fire broke out at around 10pm last night.
Four fire engines and 20 firefighters were called to the building on the high street.
Part of the ground floor shop was damaged by fire.
There were no reports of any injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Kentish Town Watch Manager Dan Acquah, who was at the scene, said: “When crews arrived there was very intense smoke coming from the building and flames were extremely visible.
“Firefighters had to use cutting equipment to gain access to the shop as it had metal shutters, but crews worked quickly to bring the fire under control and prevented it from spreading to the flats above and neighbouring businesses.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
The Brigade was called at 9.59pm and the fire was under control at 11.24pm. Fire crews from Kentish Town, Euston and Soho fire stations attended the scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.