Nightspot evacuated as blaze rips through Camden shop
- Credit: Archant
Revellers were evacuated from Camden High Street as firefighters tackled a blaze that ripped through a shop.
Residents in flats above the shop had to be evacuated as fire broke out at around 10pm last night.
Four fire engines and 20 firefighters were called to the building on the high street.
Part of the ground floor shop was damaged by fire.
There were no reports of any injuries.
Kentish Town Watch Manager Dan Acquah, who was at the scene, said: “When crews arrived there was very intense smoke coming from the building and flames were extremely visible.
“Firefighters had to use cutting equipment to gain access to the shop as it had metal shutters, but crews worked quickly to bring the fire under control and prevented it from spreading to the flats above and neighbouring businesses.”
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 5 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 9 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
The Brigade was called at 9.59pm and the fire was under control at 11.24pm. Fire crews from Kentish Town, Euston and Soho fire stations attended the scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.