New Year’s Honours: Full list of Camden and Haringey recipients including marathon runner David Bedford and Hampstead Heath manager Michael Welbank
- Credit: submitted
Twenty-two notable Camden and Haringey residents get the nod from the Queen in the New Year’s Honours List.
- Ricardo professor of economics at UCL and research director at the Institute of Fiscal Studies, Professor Richard Blundell, of Hampstead, was knighted for services to economics and social science.
- Former Lord Mayor of London and current ambassador to North Korea, Michael Gifford, of Camden Town, also received a knighthood for services to international business, culture and the City of London.
- Celia Hoyles, former director of the National Centre for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics, of Camden Town, was made a dame for services to education.
- Choreographer of Cats and The Phantom of the Opera Gillian Lynne, of Hampstead, was also made a dame for services to dance and musical theatre.
You may also want to watch:
- Chief executive of NHS Blood and Transplant, Lynda Caroline Hamlyn, of Highgate, was given a CBE for services to healthcare.
- Pianist Stephen Hough, of St John’s Wood, received a CBE for services to music.
- 1 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 6 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- Deborah Clare Ounsted, of Camden Town, a CBE for services to the charitable sector in the UK.
- Lucy Ann Scott-Moncrieff, of Hampstead, former president of the Law Society, a CBE for services to legal aid.
- Observer journalist Katharine Whitehorn, of Hampstead, a CBE for services to journalism.
- Chairman of road safety charity RoadPeace UK, Cynthia Barlow, of Camden Town. An OBE for services to road safety.
- Former world record holder and race director of London Marathon David Bedford, of Hampstead. OBE for services to athletics and charitable fundraising.
- Lucy Dennett, of Hampstead, an OBE for services to volunteering in the UK.
- Founder of the Sustainable Energy Academy John Doggart, of Hampstead, an OBE for services to sustainable energy
technologies and energy efficiency.
- Masala Masala sauces entrepreneur Priya Lakhani, an OBE, for services to business, community and voluntary initiatives.
- Simon Lewis, of Camden Town, an OBE for public service and services to international education through the Fulbright Commission.
- Founder of Peter Owen Publishers, Peter Owen, of Crouch End, received an OBE for services to literature.
- Senior research fellow at the University of Oxford, Ceridwen Roberts, of Highgate, an OBE for services to Social Science.
- Former head of the London College of Communication, Elizabeth Rouse, of Muswell Hill, an OBE, for services to Higher Education.
- Susan Sharpe, chief executive of the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee, of Highgate, received an OBE for services to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Elizabeth Tansey, Professor of history of modern medicine at Queen Mary University of London, of Camden Town, gets an OBE for services to research in the medical sciences and to the public understanding.
- Music teacher at Morley College, Anthony Douglas, of St John’s Wood, an MBE for services to further education.
- Former consultant general paediatrician at the Whittington Hospital Heather Susan Mackinnon, a MBE for services to paediatrics, child health and child protection.
- Camden Town children’s author Kathleen Herald, who writes under the name K. M. Peyton, a MBE for services to children’s literature.
- Former chairman of the Hampstead Heath management committee Michael Welbank, of Hampstead, an MBE for services to local government and the community in north west London.