New West Hampstead Food and Flea market relaunches after washout winter
- Credit: Archant
A weekly West Hampstead market that was hit by low footfall resulting from the wet winter weather has been relaunched to roaring success.
The newly-named West Hampstead Food and Flea market, which has taken over West Hampstead Community Sale, enjoyed a warm and sunny opening on Sunday with organisers saying it was packed “from start to finish”.
Held at the West Hampstead Forecourt in Iverson Road, dozens of stall holders sold fresh street food as well as vintage and craft items.
The original market, launched in November, only sold bric-a-brac-style goods.
Organiser Alexandra Gee, 36, of Sumatra Road, said adding food to the mix “really made the difference”. She said: “It was a brilliant success and a lot more people turned up than I expected. It was packed from start to finish.
You may also want to watch:
“The community sale market didn’t have food stalls so I think adding those helped a lot – people know more what to expect when they hear the words ‘food market’.
“And we had such great feedback afterwards – people in West Hampstead seem to love what markets offer.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
“Our high street may have changed somewhat over the past few years but we still retain a very community-minded identity here, and that really shows with things like this.
“I’m hoping the Food and Flea will become as much an established part of West Hampstead as the Farmers’ Market.”
The market will be every Sunday from noon to 4pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.