New West Hampstead Food and Flea market relaunches after washout winter
- Credit: Archant
A weekly West Hampstead market that was hit by low footfall resulting from the wet winter weather has been relaunched to roaring success.
The newly-named West Hampstead Food and Flea market, which has taken over West Hampstead Community Sale, enjoyed a warm and sunny opening on Sunday with organisers saying it was packed “from start to finish”.
Held at the West Hampstead Forecourt in Iverson Road, dozens of stall holders sold fresh street food as well as vintage and craft items.
The original market, launched in November, only sold bric-a-brac-style goods.
Organiser Alexandra Gee, 36, of Sumatra Road, said adding food to the mix “really made the difference”. She said: “It was a brilliant success and a lot more people turned up than I expected. It was packed from start to finish.
“The community sale market didn’t have food stalls so I think adding those helped a lot – people know more what to expect when they hear the words ‘food market’.
“And we had such great feedback afterwards – people in West Hampstead seem to love what markets offer.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 5 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 6 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 7 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 8 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 9 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 10 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
“Our high street may have changed somewhat over the past few years but we still retain a very community-minded identity here, and that really shows with things like this.
“I’m hoping the Food and Flea will become as much an established part of West Hampstead as the Farmers’ Market.”
The market will be every Sunday from noon to 4pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.