New Jewish singles group for pensioners tells members ‘70 is the new 50’
- Credit: Archant
A new singles group has been set up for Jewish people over the age of 70 who are seeking love and companionship.
The latest group from the North West Jewish Singles (NWJS) society is called 70+ Seekers – and has the mantra “70 is the new 50”.
It launched with a coffee and cake afternoon at the Maxim kosher restaurant in Golders Green Road, Golders Green, on Monday.
Emma Davies, who helped to set up the new over-70s group, said her mother was an inspiration – she continued to attend tango lessons twice a week until she was 91.
Ms Davies said: “Lots of elderly people have an active life ahead of them, perhaps another 20 years.
You may also want to watch:
“They want to go to pubs, cinemas, restaurants, shops and hotels – all the things that younger people are doing – rather than going to community centres and having entertainment laid on for them.”
Some 25 single over-70s attended Monday’s launch and there were already signs of romance in the air.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
Speaking after the event, Ms Davies said: “I’ve just received a phone call from an 84-year-old who said he had secured a date with a lovely lady at The Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch. So it’s all happening with this age group!”
Bernie Conway, 74, was also excited about the future of the group, saying: “I lost my wife 15 months ago and that’s why a lot of people join NWJS, they are widows and widowers.
“I hope 70+ Seekers takes off, and if it does, it will be a wonderful thing for the over-70s, because there’s not a lot for them to do.”
Founded 13 years ago, NWJS has proved popular across northwest London and has more than 1,000 singles signed up to its e-mail list.
The over-70s group is its third offering, after the Younger Generation group for 40 to 55-year-olds, and a Swingin’ 60s group for 55 to 69-year-olds already established.
To find out more about the NWJS and the 70+ Seekers group, visit www.nwjs.org.uk or call 07940 181 000.