New Jewish singles group for pensioners tells members ‘70 is the new 50’
- Credit: Archant
A new singles group has been set up for Jewish people over the age of 70 who are seeking love and companionship.
The latest group from the North West Jewish Singles (NWJS) society is called 70+ Seekers – and has the mantra “70 is the new 50”.
It launched with a coffee and cake afternoon at the Maxim kosher restaurant in Golders Green Road, Golders Green, on Monday.
Emma Davies, who helped to set up the new over-70s group, said her mother was an inspiration – she continued to attend tango lessons twice a week until she was 91.
Ms Davies said: “Lots of elderly people have an active life ahead of them, perhaps another 20 years.
“They want to go to pubs, cinemas, restaurants, shops and hotels – all the things that younger people are doing – rather than going to community centres and having entertainment laid on for them.”
Some 25 single over-70s attended Monday’s launch and there were already signs of romance in the air.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 8 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
Speaking after the event, Ms Davies said: “I’ve just received a phone call from an 84-year-old who said he had secured a date with a lovely lady at The Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch. So it’s all happening with this age group!”
Bernie Conway, 74, was also excited about the future of the group, saying: “I lost my wife 15 months ago and that’s why a lot of people join NWJS, they are widows and widowers.
“I hope 70+ Seekers takes off, and if it does, it will be a wonderful thing for the over-70s, because there’s not a lot for them to do.”
Founded 13 years ago, NWJS has proved popular across northwest London and has more than 1,000 singles signed up to its e-mail list.
The over-70s group is its third offering, after the Younger Generation group for 40 to 55-year-olds, and a Swingin’ 60s group for 55 to 69-year-olds already established.
To find out more about the NWJS and the 70+ Seekers group, visit www.nwjs.org.uk or call 07940 181 000.