New home with three-storey basement gets go ahead in Fitzroy Park
- Credit: Archant
Plans to build a new mansion with a three-storey basement in an enclave on the edge of Hampstead Heath have been given the go ahead by Camden planners.
The decision flies in the face of a flood of 60 written objections from neighbours and local groups who say the “iceberg” basement and scale and bulk of the house to be built in Fitzroy Park is an overdevelopment which will harm the character of the leafy enclave.
Protesters are also concerned about the construction process and the impact of the many hundreds of HGV movements described in the developers Construction Management Plan on semi-rural track Millfield Lane and Fitzroy Park over a two-year period
They fear this would add to the impact of construction traffic already being generated by the Hampstead Heath Ponds Project and another planning application just yards away for a four bedroom home with basement to replace the Water House, opposite the entrance to Kenwood Ladies’ Pond.
Together, the proposed new homes total more than 22,000sq ft of development – the equivalent of a small estate of 23 three-bedroom homes each at the average UK size of about 925sq ft.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Saunders wrote: “The movement of lorries and materials along the lane will be totally unacceptable. It is a much loved rural pathway used by many people and the proposed works would effectively destroy the lane.”
The proposals have been submitted to the council by Svetlana Volossov and her husband who wish to demolish the current home on the site, which Mrs Volossov bought for £3.75million in 2013, and replace it with a new three-storey family home.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 6 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
The scheme includes plans for a three-storey basement to accommodate a swimming pool, steam room, gym and cinema.
Member of Camden’s development control committee voted in favour of the new home tonight.
A full report of the meeting will be in next week’s Ham&High.