New Haringey councillor revealed
A 30-year-old woman from Essex has been chosen to lead Haringey Council out of the mire of the Baby P case. Labour Cllr Claire Kober, who has represented the Seven Sisters ward since 2006 and acted as chief whip, was chosen by the 30 Labour councillors on
A 30-year-old woman from Essex has been chosen to lead Haringey Council out of the mire of the Baby P case.
Labour Cllr Claire Kober, who has represented the Seven Sisters ward since 2006 and acted as chief whip, was chosen by the 30 Labour councillors on Haringey Council on Tuesday night. The 21 Lib Dem Cllrs voted for their leader, Hornsey Cllr Robert Gorrie, to take over.
The change in leadership was sparked by Cllr George Meehan's resignation last Monday, following a report into Haringey's children services.
Ms Kober, who works for a children's charity, said: "My immediate priority is to ensure robust arrangements are in place to safeguard children across our borough. I will introduce whatever changes are necessary to enable this council to regain the confidence of local residents."
You may also want to watch:
Lib Dem Cllr Richard Wilson, who nominated Cllr Gorrie for the role, said at the full council meeting, at Wood Green Civic Centre: "People want real change - not cosmetic change. They want a council that acknowledges its mistakes and reacts, rather than apologises belatedly through gritted teeth - not because they believe they've done wrong, but because they are forced to.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 7 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 8 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin