New faces, new structure can restore Arsenal glory days - Graham
Former Arsenal boss George Graham believes Arsenal won t end their trophy famine unless Arsene Wenger makes some quality signings. In an exclusive, thought-provoking interview for the Ham&High this week, Graham also hints that Arsenal must be willing to
Former Arsenal boss George Graham believes Arsenal won't end their trophy famine unless Arsene Wenger makes some quality signings.
In an exclusive, thought-provoking interview for the Ham&High this week, Graham also hints that Arsenal must be willing to smash their rigid pay structure if they are to overtake Manchester United as the country's leading club.
"The club needs new players,'' he told Arsenbal writer Jem Maidment.
"I would certainly be looking for a new goalkeeper, a top drawer centre-back and a big, strong - I mean mentally and physically - midfielder too. That's for a start.''
Graham, though, is hopeful that whether or not anyone departs between now and August 31, there will be more players coming in.
"It never ceases to amaze me just how many deals are done in the final few days before the window slams shut," says Graham, who managed Arsenal to six major trophies between 1986 and 1995.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 3 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 6 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 9 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
- 10 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
"Managers, agents, players ... they all go right up to the wire for many reasons. Wages have to be sorted, budgets looked at again, new players quickly become available who perhaps weren't on the market a few weeks earlier.
"I like to think Arsene has players in mind and that new arrivals are on the horizon. The fans clearly want it and, yes, I believe his squad needs new faces. Quality new faces."
Read this interview in full in this week's Ham&High Premier League Preview supplement, and see this website for more exclusive views on Arsenal's chances of lifting silverware this season.