New Arsenal signing is a fighter says Arsene Wenger
Arsene Wenger says he has signed a fighter in new centre half Laurent Koscielny. The French stopper signed a four-year contract at Emirates on Wednesday afternoon after sealing an �8.5m switch from French outfit Lorient. He will take the No6 shirt forme
Arsene Wenger says he has signed a "fighter" in new centre half Laurent Koscielny.
The French stopper signed a four-year contract at Emirates on Wednesday afternoon after sealing an �8.5m switch from French outfit Lorient. He will take the No6 shirt formerly worn by Philippe Senderos.
Arsenal fans could get their first opportunity to see him in action when the Gunners taken on Barnet in their traditional opening pre-season fixture at Underhill on July 17.
The Arsenal manager, who has been working for French TV in South Africa, said of Koscielny: "We identified him as a very strong centre-half, who has made big progress
You may also want to watch:
"He has shown he is mentally strong, he's a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad."
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 10 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
The 24-year-old defender, who was playing French second division football two years ago, admitted: "I will have to adapt and give everything in training to get to the level for
the Premier League.
"It's the start of a new adventure. I will give my maximum to play in the team."
Arsenal have previously signed Marouane Chamakh this summer while free agent Joe Cole - a former Camden schoolboy - and Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer are both on Wenger's radar.