New Arsenal signing is a fighter says Arsene Wenger
Arsene Wenger says he has signed a fighter in new centre half Laurent Koscielny. The French stopper signed a four-year contract at Emirates on Wednesday afternoon after sealing an �8.5m switch from French outfit Lorient. He will take the No6 shirt forme
Arsene Wenger says he has signed a "fighter" in new centre half Laurent Koscielny.
The French stopper signed a four-year contract at Emirates on Wednesday afternoon after sealing an �8.5m switch from French outfit Lorient. He will take the No6 shirt formerly worn by Philippe Senderos.
Arsenal fans could get their first opportunity to see him in action when the Gunners taken on Barnet in their traditional opening pre-season fixture at Underhill on July 17.
The Arsenal manager, who has been working for French TV in South Africa, said of Koscielny: "We identified him as a very strong centre-half, who has made big progress
"He has shown he is mentally strong, he's a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad."
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 3 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 4 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 7 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 10 Father's fear autistic son will 'dive through' window of unsafe West Hampstead home
The 24-year-old defender, who was playing French second division football two years ago, admitted: "I will have to adapt and give everything in training to get to the level for
the Premier League.
"It's the start of a new adventure. I will give my maximum to play in the team."
Arsenal have previously signed Marouane Chamakh this summer while free agent Joe Cole - a former Camden schoolboy - and Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer are both on Wenger's radar.