Nasri deal unsigned as Lehmann returns to Germany
Arsene Wenger has seen his squad further depleted this week as he continues to be left frustrated in his attempts to bring quality signings to The Emirates, writes Jem Maidment. Goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, as expected, moved back to Germany after five years
Arsene Wenger has seen his squad further depleted this week as he continues to be left frustrated in his attempts to bring quality signings to The Emirates, writes Jem Maidment.
Goalkeeper Jens Lehmann, as expected, moved back to Germany after five years at Arsenal when he signed a one-year contract with VfB Stuttgart late on Tuesday.
"The talks with the Stuttgart management team were very pleasant from the word go," said the 38-year-old, who made 199 appearances for the Gunners.
"I am looking forward to VfB and the Bundesliga, and hope to play my part in a successful season in 2008/09."
You may also want to watch:
And while the German returned to his homeland Wenger has yet to make his first summer signings.
A lucrative four-year contract for Samir Nasri, Marseille's exciting attacking midfielder, remains on the table, unsigned.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 7 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 10 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
Wenger, however, does not seem unduly concerned and expects to complete the £12m deal after Euro 2008.
He will almost certainly be a straight replacement for unsettled Alex Hleb, who is being tipped for a move to Barcelona. "I hope I will do it [buy Nasri] after the Euros," said Wenger.